the seinfeld of blogs

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

i'm a giant douchebag, or, why i'm blogging in starbucks

yesterday my crazy roommate told me to be out within the month. she was pissed because i let my cousin sleep over rather than spend the night on a bench in tompkins square park. she claims it's an issue of privacy and went on and on about how she doesn't want strangers over because the place is such a mess. god forbid people think she's a slob! of course the real reason is that she's not supposed to be renting out the space, and i'm not sure she's even supposed to be living there herself; might be the super's dirty little secret. but still, is that not ridic? i mean he's not really my cousin and we could have just stayed at phil's, but she has no way of knowing that and still she read me the riot act. bitch. so i guess i'm transitory again. c'est la whatever. seems to be what i'm good at so what the hell.

so this morning i threw gideon in my backpack, dropped off my laundry at the place across the street, and went to whole foods. got some of the usual rabbit food and a snickerdoodle and went up to utilize what i thought was free wifi; turns out it's like 5 bucks an hour so gid went unused. but on the bright side, the snickerdoodle was delicious and this adorable little kid accidentally hit me with an umbrella. i've been all about kids lately and his babysitter/big brother/possible uncle was a cutie so whatevs.

big brother: you don't play with your umbrella in front of other people! you keep your umbrella to yourself!
me: words to live by.
big brother: (gets all shy and nervous) haha you have no idea.

then he made cute little kid apologize to me, which he did ("sowwy") and i was like "that's ok!" and all was happy.

i scooted shortly after they did because the wifi was kind of a big draw and the longer i stayed the more i wanted another cookie. plus this creepy dude was staring at me.

when i got back, crazy roomie was home. i've taken up speaking to her in one- to three-word sentences; not actually nasty but very very curt. i set up gideon and proceeded to try to get internet, always a big maybe in that place.

her: are you getting internet?
me: no.
her: no, huh? if it doesn't work there, you could go to starbucks. it's really close.
me: it's not free.

long silence.

eventually i gave up and packed up gideon again and headed wordlessly for the door.

her: (as i'm leaving) are you working tonight, kate? (she thinks my name is kate.)
me: yup.
her: oh, because i blah blah
(i leave.)

actually that one was a little harsher than i meant it to be, especially as i punctuated it with an unintentional slam of the front door (i was carrying a lot of shit).

i did go to starbucks. it's actually wicked cheap here so whatever. i'm glad i didn't cave at whole foods. crazy roomie keeps texting me. and that's where i'm at.

on the plus side, i slept great last night.

wow this was such a horrible update.

1 comment:

Susan said...

KB sez he hopes if you learn nothing else from this debacle, it's that weird people will be weird...
They don't improve if you give them time.
He's so wise sometimes.